"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write." ~St. Augustine

Monday, April 23, 2012

Catch up, Soul...

I heard a phrase some time back that has been bouncing around in my head this week, "Sometimes our souls just need to catch up with our bodies"

My soul most definitely needs some catchin' up!

Less than a week ago, we boarded a flight and jet-set over and across the Atlantic.  Right now, my body has settled down in our overseas home.  We are unpacked and starting back to schooling today.  Back to laundry, grocery shopping, work and friends.  I am physically back to "normal life" and Father's work... but my soul seems to be lagging behind my body.  My soul has not quite caught up!

Sometimes I think the 3 month sea voyage that our colleagues took some 100 years ago had its advantages. (albeit, I admit the scurvy and pirates were a problem!)  If anything, though, their long journey gave them plenty of time to prepare and to process.  Time to think and read.  And sit and wait.

Now with modern travel, as my husband is fond of saying, "we just step into the wardrobe and blam! we are in Narnia"--- and it is cold here!

I think in the past few weeks, I simply ran too fast and too far ahead.  Do you ever feel that way?

So, I am requiring of myself... in love...a sit and be still moment often during my day.  Just sit and be still for a few minutes and let your soul catch up, Stephanie.  Think a bit.  Wait a moment.  Sit.  and Pray.  and read.  And do nothing... for a moment.  Or, two, or three...

Silence.  Stillness.

Yes, the laundry needs to be hung to dry... but it can wait 2 or 3 minutes, right?  Or, can it even wait until tomorrow?  Yes, that email needs to be written... but it, too can wait, a few minutes, even a few days.   Yep, my girl needs me to explain her math...  "Sweet girl, I will be there in 5 minutes.  I am just finishing up a quiet moment with Jesus."

I am attempting to push through the tyranny-of-it-feels-urgent, in order to allow my body to sit, my mind to rest, my hearts to ponder and my spirit to pray.

It takes time for a soul to catch up.